A few days ago, I told you about a wedding I attended dressed as The Hamburglar. The very sweet bride, Catherine, made undoubtedly the best guest gifts I have ever received. From fresh strawberries, she made and jarred amazing strawberry jam and wrapped it like a pro. I don’t really eat jam (my sister and M told me it was fantastic), but I do eat muffins! So I used the remainder of the jam after my family indulged to make Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins. Because the jam bakes into the muffin, the jelly does not ooze out of the center like one might expect. But with my aversion to true jelly, that worked out perfectly for me. So for your own enjoyment, or when your friend gives out homemade jam to “Spread The Love” at her wedding, make some muffins!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
2. Combine flour through salt and stir with whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine milk through vanilla, mix, and then add flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or using cupcake wrappers (my preference). Fill the cups evenly with half the batter, add a dollop of jam (about 1 tsp) into each muffin cup, and add the rest of the batter.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are cooked throughout. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.