I know, I know. Just the other day I griped about all the added sugar in our food. I mentioned how I liked the Year of No Sugar book and recommended you read it. Now today, I’m touting a banana blueberry muffin with nothing other than… honey (i.e. added sugar).
While I do really like the author’s challenge, I’m not ready to take it on entirely. We like to incorporate some sweet things into our meals, and make ahead muffins are great quick and easy breakfasts.
With this recipe, I’ve opted for whole wheat, two types of fruit, and honey instead of more processed sugar. Honey’s still sugar, don’t get me wrong. But I’m also in the camp that the closer something is to “real food” the better it must be for us. So that’s where I stand on this muffin recipe. It’s not perfect, but we’re eating it and enjoying it!
If you’re wondering how they’ll fare with your kiddos, T says they’re amazing, and J devours them (much like anything else with blueberries and bananas we offer him). While muffins will always be muffins, these regular-sized homemade options are certainly healthier than the sugar-coated monstrosity at your local coffee shop or grocery store.
If you try them, be sure to let me know what you think!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tsp flax seeds optional
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 -3 bananas sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wipe inside of muffin tins with butter (I use cold butter on a paper towel to get a thin layer). I prefer butter over cooking spray because it's less processed and doesn't leave a residue on my baking pans.
- Mix flour through flax seeds in a medium bowl.
- Mix applesauce though vanilla in large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just enough to combine.
- Add banana slices and blueberries mixing gently with a spatula to incorporate.
- Fill each muffin tin approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.